- Portelli, D. (2020). Music gesture and the correspondence of lines: Collaborative video mediation and methodology. Leonardo Music Journal and MIT Press, Vol. 30.
- Portelli, D. (2015). Mapping Australia (D. Pocknee, B. Flanagan, & B. Sherouse, Eds.). Retrieved January 14, 2016, from http://cerenem.ricercata.org/articles/mapping_australia/page01.htmld
Online Articles / Blog Posts
- Portelli, D. (2021). Music in Impossible Spaces. ADSR Zine. https://www.adsrzine.com/013
- Portelli. D. (2021). Review: Decibel New Music: 2 Minutes from Home
‘An internet opera in 20 parts’, Resonate Magazine, The Australian Music Centre https://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au/article/decibel-new-music-2-minutes-from-home
- Portelli, D. (2020). Video practices in art music, scoring for dreams and empathy in oceanography,Resonate Magazine, The Australian Music Centre – Daniel Portelli gives an overview of his recent paper (Leonardo Music Journal, MIT Press) and shares some of his recent creative engagements
- Portelli, D. (2016). Mapping the dynamic life of lines in a multimodal compositional practice. Doctoral thesis, University of Huddersfield.
- Portelli, D. (2012). Breath through water : personal cross-cultural and multimedia processes flowing towards Dao in composition. School of Humanities and Communication Arts. Dissertation (M.A.(Hons.))–University of Western Sydney.
- Portelli, D. (2021). Bold Transition Seminar, Memory, Raw Materiality and Transformation: Fracturing Through Hybridity of Experience as Authenticity. Music & Music Therapy Discipline, Western Sydney University.
- Portelli, D. (2020). Culture in a time of crisis: Critical Cartography, Counter-mapping and aesthetics, in support of decolonial research and perspectives. Western Sydney University. Creative Resilience Seminar 3, following the release of the conceptual music work Mapping Australia on the 2020 album ‘Playing with fire’: New Australian music for electroacoustics and piano (performed by Tamara Anna Cislowka). https://vimeo.com/467270563
- Portelli, D. (2018). Mapping the dynamic life of lines in a multimodal compositional practice. Composer lecture series. The Sydney Conservatorium of Music, University of Sydney.
- Portelli, D. (2013). Between Film, Music and Natural Phenomena: My Expansive Journey Towards Cultural Complexity in Dao Inspired Composition. Interventions & Intersections: Postgraduate Conference.
- Portelli, D. (2012). Daoistic Flow of Video and Sound Collaboration As Cross-Cultural Dialogue. 19th Biennial Conference of the Asian Studies Association – Knowing Asia: Asian Studies in an Asian Century.
I have been involved in a broad range of conferences from around the world. A select few include:
- Music and/as Process conference, 2015, at Goldsmiths, University of London, run by Dr Lauren Redhead.
- Sound::Gender::Feminism::Activism, 2016, White Noise conference at CRiSAP, London College of Communication, London, led by Professor Cathy Lane, Professor Angus Carlyle and Dr Holly Ingleton. There was also a workshop attached to this conference that I was involved in called “Ring Di Alarm Workshop” – a workshop that explores alternative references and strategies for sonic resistance to negate the White Noise of the production of racialized cultural, social and political narratives. Our discussion was broadcast live to a radio/internet stream and the workshop ended with us selecting music which we thought represented this resistance.
- Finding Democracy in Music, 2017, University of Huddersfield, led by Professor Robert Adlington.
- Noise In And As Music Symposium, 2013, University of Huddersfield, led by Professor Aaron Cassidy and Dr Aaron Einbond.
- Touching Sound Symposium, the discourse between sound and tactility, 2017, City University, led by Dr Claudia Molitor and Dr Aaron Einbond.
I have also spoken/performed at:
- Guest Lecture Series, Sydney Conservatorium of Music, 2018
- Colloquium, University of Huddersfield, UK, 2016
- 19th Biennial Conference of the Asian Studies Association – Knowing Asia: Asian Studies in an Asian Century, WSU, 2012
- Interventions & Intersections Conference, WSU, 2011
- Aspen Composers Conference, CO, USA, 2010
- Australasian Computer Music Conference, Brisbane, QUT, 2009